Water Conservation Tips
The Legislature and Governor are working to respond to severe drought conditions, however, all Californians must take action to conserve our limited water supply.
Small adjustments can make a big difference. Here are some tips and tricks to help you conserve water at home:
- Run the dishwasher only when full to save water and energy.
- Don’t use running water to thaw food. Defrost food in the refrigerator.
- Use the garbage disposal sparingly. Instead, compost vegetable food waste.
- When washing dishes by hand, don’t let the water run. Fill one basin with wash water and the other with rinse water.
Bath and Laundry
- Fix your leaky toilet or install a high-efficiency toilet.
- Take five minute showers instead of ten minute showers.
- Turn off the water while washing your hair or brushing your teeth.
- Use the washing machine for full loads only to save water and energy.
- Water early in the morning or later in the evening when temperatures are cooler.
- Plant drought-resistant trees and plants.
- Add mulch around trees to help retain moisture.
- Use a broom rather than a water hose to clean driveways, sidewalks and patios.
For more water conservation tips, visit www.saveourwater.com