- Sacramento Emergency Rental Assistance (SERA2)
- Next Move
- Shelter Ink
- Community Organizations
- Sacramento Steps Forward
- Tenant Protection Program
- COVID-19 Tenant Protections
- COVID-19-related Commercial & Residential Landlord & Tenant Mediation Services
- COVID-19 Financial Resources
- A letter showing you have faced COVID-19-related financial distress
- Summons and Complaint
- Legal Services of Northern CA
- HEALTHCARE INFORMATION
- UTILITY ASSISTANCE
- Community Resource Project
- Energy Assistance Program
- If you are falling behind on your utility bills, please first call the company directly (for example, SMUD) and ask for a payment plan or what other options they have available to assist. You may qualify for a reduced rate and not know – always ask!
- Sacramento Food Bank
- Food Distributions In the region
- CalFRESH – Please check to see if you qualify for $ to buy fresh healthy food for your family
- Sac Emergency Food & Shelter Program
- Meals on Wheels
- Food Pantries
- Food Banks
- Soup Kitchens
- Brown Bag Food Programs
- Congregate Meals (Hot Meal Programs
- Markets/ Restaurants Accepting EBT Cards
- Formula & Baby Food
- WIC (Food Assistance for Pregnant Women and Young Children)
- ADDITIONAL GENERAL RESOURCES
- Salvation Army
- Covid-19: Financial Resources
- Infoline Sacramento: You can call 211 or 916-498-1000 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week to speak with a live representative to ask about any community resource you need
- Sacramento County Department of Human Assistance: Assistance CalFresh, MediCal and additional services.
- EDD NEWSROOM - LATEST UPDATES
Please note that September 4, 2021 is the expiration date for most federal unemployment benefits, including: Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC), the $300 Federal Additional Compensation (PAC) supplement, and Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation (MEUC). September 11, 2021, is the end of the Federal-State Extended Duration (FED-ED) extension. EDD will be issuing notices about these changes, with links to the other vital benefit programs that continue.
Although federal unemployment benefits will soon end for many unemployed Californians, the American Rescue Plan and California Comeback Plan have substantially expanded other vital benefits that continue to help eligible California families:
- Cash aid for families with children (CalWORKs) through county human services agencies at BenefitsCal.orgwhere people can also apply for food assistance [CalFresh], and free health coverage [Medi-Cal]).
- Over $234 per person per month for food via (GetCalFresh.org or by phone at 1-877-847-3663), whether a person is working or not.
- Money for rent and utilities—including 100 percent rent and utilities—via Housing is Key (HousingIsKey.com or by phone at 1-833-430-2122).
- Free or low-cost health insurance through Covered California or Medi-Cal (CoveredCA.com or by phone at 1-800-300-1506). Californians who received unemployment insurance in 2021 may be eligible for Covered California’s best coverage for $1 per month.
- Golden State Stimulus payments for millions of qualified residents who file taxes, even if not required. (By phone at 1-800-845-6500).
EDD has also provided resources to help claimants find jobs and get job training at the Returning to Work webpage. That includes CalJOBS, a no-cost virtual job center that includes more than a million job listings from private job boards and recruitment sites.
For help with your rent, apply immediately for the Emergency Rental Assistance program here: Sacramento Emergency Rental Assistance (SERA2). This program can pay up to 80% of all your back rent and utilities as well as 3 months of prospective rent if you qualify.
*If you have already applied with SERA 2 and have not gotten a response, please note SHRA is currently processing hundreds of applications. Applications are prioritized on several factors such as income level and unemployment status. All applicants can check the status of their application online at www.shra.org\sera. There you will find a link to log in and check their status. The number one reason an application is pending is that we are waiting on information. Applicants should check all emails from SHRA to ensure they have submitted all needed documentation. If you have questions after checking your account online, applicants can also send an email to email@example.com for specific questions about their application.
HousingIsKey.com also includes eviction protection resources and forms, such as FAQs and links to legal assistance.
You can find free or low-cost legal help at FindLegalHelp.org or lawhelpca.org. You can also give your landlord a letter showing you have faced COVID-19-related financial distress.
If your landlord has issued an eviction notice, please contact the Sacramento Tenant Protection Program here: https://www.cityofsacramento.org/tpp. The TPP can help you fight for your rights with your landlord. You are still protected by the statewide eviction moratorium. You can learn more about the eviction moratorium here: https://landlordtenant.dre.ca.gov/tenant/protection_guidelines.html
You are not alone! There are lots of people in the same boat and they’re working together to help each other and change policies for the better. ACCE and the Sacramento Tenants Union are two groups organizing tenants in Sacramento: https://www.acceaction.org/sacramento and http://sactenantsunion.com/
The landlord has to serve you with papers called a Summons and Complaint. Renters will get a copy of that document, which will be filled with everything the landlord alleges the tenant owes. You have five days, excluding weekends and holidays, to file what’s called an Answer. This is where you can talk about any issues with the notice or other problems in the landlord’s complaint against you as well as write up your defense, which would include your application for rental assistance.
Find a COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic Near You: http://bit.ly/SacCountyVaccine
For Rides to a Vaccination Appointment:
(For Uber Customers)
(For Lyft Customers)
Find a COVID-19 Testing Site Near You: